Data Analytics and AI
Investment Data Warehouse System Architecture Assessment
A Fortune 500 commercial lines property and casualty insurance holding company required a system architecture assessment to analyze options to modernize its legacy Investment Data Warehouse as it was not providing the expected value.
Client Challenges and Requirements
- Business agility was hard to achieve as changes to the architecture resulted in major issues
- Maintenance of the system was difficult due to the complex architecture and tightly coupled modules
- Stale business analytics due to time-consuming processes
- Disconnected data silos
- Absence of data audits or governance
Bitwise conducted a system architecture assessment and provided 2 options that could eliminate the challenges the business was facing.
Approach 1: To enhance the current IDW system in terms of functionality, scalability, and data consistency while building a central repository to maintain a data warehouse.
Approach 2: To build a new, flexible, cost-efficient, and highly available cloud-based solution in Azure.
Both approaches involved solutions for:
- Data Model design
- Data Quality
- Data Governance
- Reporting layer
- Scheduling and deployments
- Environment Setup
Tools & Technologies We Used
SQL Server Agent
Azure Blob Storage
Azure Data Factory
Azure SQL Managed Instance
MS Power BI
Azure Express Route, Key vault, Analysis Services, API, App Service
Holistic assessment with multiple options
Short term and long-term approaches planned
Both solutions aimed at future modernizations
Minimum business disruptions